Day 46: Harrisville State Park CG to Tawas Point State Park CG - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2023

Day 46: Harrisville State Park CG to Tawas Point State Park CG

Pleasant Day

We actually followed our schedule today, so it was a short day.  That was fine by us.  We slept in until 7:45 am, and did not leave camp until 10:30 am.  There was coffee on the beach, which I love, and a relaxed atmosphere.  There actually isn’t much to report besides the ride was pleasant; we enjoyed scenes of Lake Huron’s lakeside dotted with resorts and cottages; those would be old throw-back cottages and resorts.  This area feels like we have been transported back in time a bit.  I really am enjoying taking part in this summer lake-life experience; it is apparent why Michiganders flock to the shores of their Great Lakes: there are so many amenities that make it enjoyable and easy.  Each state park has a nice beach area and many amenities for families.  We have seen so many people and kids on bikes in camp, and the parks make it easy for people to ride their bikes.  One thing to note, there are not many e-bikes that we have noticed; we are not sure if Michigan States Parks allows them. I haven’t seen many on the roads either, though.  Maybe it is not a thing here yet.

Since we had time on our hands today, we stopped in Oscoda, a small town about sixteen miles from our evening’s camp to mail home some items that we really haven’t used.  Yeah, we have been carrying them around for so long, why now?  We really just wanted some extra room in the panniers; plus, we were going to have to mail home items anyway for the return trip to CA.  But, the great thing about this stop was that while Mike was inside the post office, I started calling around for hair salons to get our hair cut…hairs cut(?); this was a long shot on a Tuesday in an Upper Midwest small town.  However, serendipitously, there was a salon right across the street, and the owner took us right in.  This never happens!  It was a great experience; we felt like we knew this stylist like forever, and her name happened to be Dawn Marie!  Crazy!  That is my name.  Whenever I meet a Dawn - and there are a few of us out there, they are around my age and were born in April.  I don’t know what month she was born in, though;  I did not think to ask.

Besides that, we are staying in a pleasant busy campground that has a large beach and a historic lighthouse.  This one is significant because when it was first built, it served its purpose well; however, in a short period of time, the point kept getting longer because of the sand filling in around it, so it was not as effective because it was not at the end of the point anymore.  

So, tomorrow we have a longer day; we are headed to Bay City State Park in Bay City, Michigan.  We were excited about this city because of the band The Bay City Rollers.  Remember them? “S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night” Yes, that  song from the 70’s.  Well, I did a little research and basically the band just threw a dart on a map, and there you go, Bay City Rollers was their name.  This will be our last city before we head north on “The Thumb.”

Sweet Dreams,

Team Bean

Stats

  1. Cribbage Game Wins: Mike 9, Dawn 7
  2. Tortillas Eaten: Mike 122, Dawn 48
  3. Jars of Peanut Butter: 5
  4. Flats: Dawn 2, Mike 1
  5. Bike Haters: 4 (We had our first one in Montana yesterday.) None in North Dakota that we know of. 
  6. Bags of  Salad Consumed: 18
  7. Dog Encounters: 2
  8. Beers, too many to count
  9. Bags of M&M’s: 5 of various sizes
  10. Fritos: 8 of various sizes 
  11.  Bear Encounters: 1
Full red moon. The same one I looked at as a crescent at Mille Lacs State Park through the telescope just a short time ago; seems like forever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The light house
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walk through Tawas Point State Park
Heart 1 Comment 0
An artistic view
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach at the state park
Heart 0 Comment 0
History
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset over the bay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mike!
Heart 1 Comment 0
More Mike!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 3,041 miles (4,894 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0