Day 19: To Buckhorn, NEW MEXICO - Southwest U.S. Coast-to-Coast 2012 - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2012

Day 19: To Buckhorn, NEW MEXICO

Highway traffic started at 5 AM. Now I know why the store opens at 5 AM. It must be people driving to the early shift at the giant copper mine in Clifton.

The overnight low was in the 30's. Chilly after spending 3 nights in motels. I got on the road at 8:35. It was already warm and sunny with a mild southwest tailwind.

I came down that road yesterday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride starts with 15 miles uphill on highway 78 to a 6389 foot summit. A 2700 foot climb. The views are excellent during the climb. Nothing to obstruct the view.

Today I cross these mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat pictures with the white horse and the scenery!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Not forested yet...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Going up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down. Clifton's giant copper mine is visible on the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ponderosa pine forest appears suddenly near the summit and continues for a few miles on the east side of the summit. Coming from the Pacific ocean, I expect the west side of a mountain to be greener than the east side. But now it's reversed. The east side is greener, indicating that moisture comes from the east more often than from the west.

White pine forest suddenly appears at the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles after the summit I crossed into the state of New Mexico. The state line coincides almost exactly with a change in climate zones, from high desert in Arizona to even higher grassland in New Mexico.

The valley in New Mexico has no creosote or prickly pear. Just dormant Bermuda grass. The Bermuda grass is brown most of the time. It only turns green for short periods of time after significant rain.

No sign at the summit, but a couple miles later the state line has a sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The New Mexico side looks very different from the Arizona side. Compare this to the 3rd previous picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
New Mexico ranch country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bermuda grass only turns green for short periods after a significant rain.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's destination is Buckhorn RV park in the village of Buckhorn, New Mexico. $10, including a shower. The only grocery store in town is closed this week for spring break. So I had a pizza at the pizza restaurant.

I arrived at 4 PM, leaving plenty of time to relax in camp. I'm now on Daylight Savings time, so the sun sets an hour later. Daylight Savings time started while I was in Arizona, but Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time.

Tonight I have no Verizon service for the first time during this tour.

Today had a high temperature of 78F. The campground proprietor said that today was warmer than yesterday. For the next several days I will be at very high elevation. Never below 5000 feet.

Distance: 48.6 mi. (77.8 km)

Climbing: 3788 ft. (1148 m)

Average Speed: 8.6 mph (13.8 km/h)

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,082 miles (1,741 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0