To Melrose - Northern Britain 2005 - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2005

To Melrose

Cycled west through mild showers and intermittent clearing along the Tweed valley, breaking for lunch in Kelso followed by a visit to Kelso Abbey.  Little remains of this one, which was largely destroyed in the 1500's.  What remains is quite striking though, its bones exposed to the elements.

Train viaduct, Berwick
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Tweed valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelso Abbey
Heart 2 Comment 0

Weather improved for the rest of the day, and we enjoyed an intermittently sunny, mild afternoon cycle to Melrose via the famous Scott's View lookout.  The countryside is very lovely - green, broken by brilliant yellow rape fields; stone walls; and what would become the everpresent flocks of sheep.  It is an unexpectedy fine time to visit the region - not only is everything in bloom, but it is also mid-lambing season.  For the coming weeks we were regularly amused and cheered by the antics and charm of countless lambs.

In midafternoon we stopped in Dryburgh to visit its abbey - my favorite of the four we would see in the Borderlands, in a lovely green setting by the river.  Burial site for Sir Walter Scott.

Dryburgh Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dryburgh Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tweed valley
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dryburgh Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Melrose Abbbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scott's View
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Melrose about 5, barely missing the closing time for the abbey.  We contented ourseves with viewing it from the perimeter of the grounds.   Melrose abbey is the best preserved of the Borderlands abbeys, and its reddish stone was beautiful in the late day sun.

Melrose Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Melrose Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Melrose Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 60 miles (97 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0