To Kilmartin - Northern Britain 2005 - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2005

To Kilmartin

The weather was wild again today, causing us to rein in our travel plans.  Rather than a quieter, more roundabout route, we biked steadily to Kilmartin through incessant rains, arriving about 1.

On the ferry leaving Lochranza, we were startled to be confronted by our innkeeper, who showed up to collect the room key we had forgotten to drop off.  On board, we befriended a solo cyclist from Maine and nearly missed our disembarkation - a crewman had to come around to the passenger compartment to rouse us.  On departing, we narrowly missed being washed under by a massive wave that blew across the entire car ramp.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was very windy and wet all the way to Kilmartin.  Fortunately it was a tailwind and there were few hills so we made good time and arrived about 12:30, thoroughly soaked.  Our room was not available until 4, so after more or less drying out and changing we had lunch in the dining room for about 3 hours, watching the rains pour down.  Later, after things calmed down a bit, we braved the weather and crossed the street to walk through the historic church and cemetery.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 4
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodHey, good job!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Lyle McLeodType II fun! Horrible when it’s happening but (hopefully) laughing about it later in the evening when Rachael and you were having a nice diner in a quaint old warm and dry pub!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodAh, yes. Number 2 fun. You need an occasional day like this as spice for the memory book. I remember turning over the key to our room on the ferry and our clothes drying out in the hall that night as clearly as anything else on the tour.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 426 miles (686 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0