To Glenridding - Northern Britain 2005 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2005

To Glenridding

We spent the previous night and this morning plotting travel options that would spare us biking to Glenridding if the weather was too foul.  Options included catching a bus to Carlisle and a train to Penrith.  In the end, we chose to start cycling toward Carlisle in a mild drizzle, leaving our options open.

 Ten miles into the ride and thoroughly soaked, we hid out briefly behind an inn and decided to go on to Carlisle and hop a train (hopefully an option).  Soon after this though the rains ceased, we dried out, and headed south up Eden Valley instead.  After stopping for lunch at a village pub, we continued on to Glenridding and stayed relatively dry the rest of the way.  We had dinner that night at the Rustlers Inn.

Our inkeeper in Glenridding was friendly and companionable, in a quiet way.  We enjoyed an ongoing gag over breakfast on both days as he feigned attempts to collect my dishes mid-meal.  It has been interesting to see the many small ways we've enjoyed travelling in an English-speaking country for a change.

No pictures today though - when it wasn't raining, it was threatening enough that we weren't tempted to stop and look around much.  Just happy to make it in as dry as we did.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 210 miles (338 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauIt's kind of fun to enter an old bike journal this way, isn't it?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauIt sure is - or was, since I actually entered it 7 years ago but never published it for some reason. It’s also rewarding just to reread it and refresh some fond memories.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago