After Thoughts - Jack and Janet - Santa Barbara to San Diego - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2012

After Thoughts

Best new piece of equipment! It is a back pack. Stuffs back into the little bag on the right. Perfect for all your personal items wallet, electronics etc when you want to go for a walk and leave camp site. This was especially important on this ride as the parks even posted at the gates 'high risk for theft'. Pay close attention to locking bikes and keeping all smaller items close. Made by Sea to Summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home along the bike trail in Monterey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of our favorite lunch stops. On 17 mile drive looking towards Pt. Lobos. Good to be home.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were both happy and sad to see this ride end. It turned out to be more challenging than anticipated and more rewarding. The difficult part was the maneuvering through Laguna Beach and San Diego. We did not anticipate the fatigue we would feel from the dryer air down south or the mental fatigue from the traffic and urban riding. Much more difficult than just heading South on Hwy 1 and going for fifty miles as you can do further North. 

 Would we ride this section again...well never say never but I doubt it. Are we glad we did....yes. When the ride was over we both had a very emotional time. We had completed a long term goal. We rode our bicycles down the Pacific Coast of the US. WOW...we did it kind of excitement and also DARN...it's over kind of sadness. 

 I was especially sad that I could not share this with my Dad who just passed away in March. He so enjoyed our ride from Seattle to Monterey. He kept an atlas and marked everyone of our stops along the way. Not being able to call him and tell him we did it was a huge part of my grieving for him. I am still tearing up as I write this several days later...one of the reasons it has taken me so long to finish up. 

 Jack too had his own emotional issues going on and while I can't write up his experience I know it was very emotional for him to end his ride near the Midway and see so many reminders of his Dad. So it only seems fitting that I am writing this on Memorial Day. We are dedicating this ride to our Dads. 

 Once again - Continental tires....can't say enough. 1727 miles through miles of city/country debris and not one flat. We can now say the 'F' word. NO FLATS!! 

 Surly LHT.....what can we say. We love these bikes. They seem to be able to take us where we need or want to go! We are each approaching or have passed the 10,000 mile mark on them. Jack does take very good care of them he cleans and adjusts twice a week. They run like tops. Nemo...loved having the larger tent. Jack says it is totally worth the extra pound or two. 

Next....I am saying out loud here so that we can't back down. TransAm within the next two years if not I will be to old! Bye for now....thanks for coming alongJack and Janet

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kathleen JonesSo enjoying rereading your adventures. Glad you're getting them posted.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Janet BeatyTo Kathleen JonesYes.....it's good to get them here. Took me awhile to decide. Hope to have a new one in the fall. If we can post drive and ride trips. Well guess Death Valley was so maybe!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago