To Marin - San Francisco Lighthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2016

To Marin

Weather = Overcast and cool

Lodging = Marin Hostel

We left the house at 6 a.m. and rode the 6 miles to the Sacramento train station to catch the Capitol Corridor train to Oakland. The train left at 7 a.m. so we had plenty of time to load the bikes and get settled in. We arrived at Oakland's Jack London Square just before 9 a.m. and rode the 1/2 mile over to the ferry terminal. After riding the ferry across the bay we arrived at Pier 41 in San Francisco about an hour later and begun our ride.

Amtrak Train from Sacramento to Oakland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ferry Oakland to San Francisco
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ferry Oakland to San Francisco. San Francisco skyline
Heart 1 Comment 0

Riding the same way as last time we headed around the bay to Fort Point stopping for a quick bite to eat at Chrissy Field. Having lost my Lighthouse Passport half way through last years trip I have a number of stamps I need to collect again, so I had my Passport stamped at Fort Point Lighthouse. Then it was up the hill to the Golden Gate Bridge. I have walked out on the bridge to the first tower but have never ridden across so this was all new to me.

Chrissy Field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last year I turned south here. Today we head north over the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Golden Gate Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Golden Gate Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Crossing was a breeze, apart from all the people. It a bit of a walking v cycling hazard. After the bridge we headed out to the Marin Headlands on Bunker Road. Soon we came to the tunnel, but this wasn't to bad and by 1 p.m. we had arrived at the Marin Visitors Center. Had a quick look around then headed over to the hostel. We couldn't check in but were able to hang in the lounge area for a while and I fell asleep on the couch.

Later we rode out to the old Nike missile site and got a tour. We went down in the missile bunker and had a look at all the missiles then they opened the doors and raised one up. We then all went back up stairs to the launch site and they proceeded to raise the missile to firing position. So cool to watch, but astonished at the the trillion $ cost to build all these sites during the Cold War. We could probably pay off the current national debt with that money.

NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site - down into the bunker
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site - down into the bunker
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site - Hatch open ready to raise
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site - Hatch open raising up
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site - missile above ground
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site - ready to fire
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0
NIKE Missile Site
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then biked out to the Point Bonita Lighthouse but it was closed.

Point Bonita Lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Point Bonita Lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fog over the Golden Gate Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we biked in the opposite direction out to Rodeo Beach and up a trail to get a view of the valley and lagoon.

Looking back towards the Marin Headlands and the hostel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was back to the hostel for showers and dinner. As there was no cell phone service and the wifi was slow I was able to pull Cameron away from his phone long enough to play monopoly. Of course I then noticed he was cheating, so I cheated back and pretty much bankrupted him. 1 to Dad.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 24 miles (39 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0