Day 62 Cornish - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2018

Day 62 Cornish

Took this one just for our neighbor who said we talk about food too much! 😂😂
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cornish, ME

Today was actually an incredible day of biking! When we’d first looked at the forecast a couple of days ago, we thought we would be dealing with rain all day. But we only had a few intermittent showers. We had in incredible breakfast at the Woodstock Inn (included with our room)...Eggs Benedict with asparagus and sticky buns!  That gave us enough fuel for the 8 mile climb we had ahead of us. We took the Kancamangus highway and climbed 2000’ to Kancamangus Pass at 2755’. We had a few rain showers, generally not lasting long, and had jackets on and off about 6-7 times. In some ways, you get wetter from sweating with the jacket on than you would with it off, but I like to appease the rain gods! We saw some beautiful mountain views and hiking trails all along the way. Near the top, Jon spotted some wild blueberries; there is nothing like fresh picked wild mountain blueberries. We stopped for the view at the summit, realizing that this was our last big climb/summit of the entire ride! Crazy!! We cruised down from the top into Conway, NH. There was another cyclist coming down from the summit, a day biker with bananas shoved in his jersey pockets. He passed us on the descent and cut back over just in front of us with a big flume of spray coming from his back tire along the wet road. Thanks dude. 🙄We took a break for lunch at the Sweet Maple Café in Conway and checked out the forecast. Looked like we were in the clear for the rest of the day. After that, we had some rolling hills to our stop for the day. We saw some wild turkeys (the bird, not the bottle 😂) with young at a couple of different spots. We checked into a motel, washed the road dirt off (there was a lot!) and strolled over to a nearby restaurant for dinner. Steak tip salad was perfect. As we’re finishing up our salads, one of the servers was reorganizing the dessert fridge and placed a huge variety of cheesecake on the table next to ours. It worked. Jon ordered 2 turtle cheesecake slices. Now, I’m not usually a huge fan of cheesecake, but it was delicious! Early bedtime to rest up for our FINAL day!! Hard to believe!

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 111 miles (179 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0