Terrebonne to Lanoraie - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2010

Terrebonne to Lanoraie

Left Terrebonne after breakfast with J.P. and Marietta. J.P. accompanied us to ensure we found our way. Terrebonne has a really good bike trail which connects with le Chemin du Roy and takes you through historic areas of Terrebonne. The route took us over an island and followed a river that is the lowest it has been in 60 years. The mill has been well preserved and the area feels like a living museum. This area gave us our first glimpse of the beautiful old stone houses of this region of Quebec. We were sorry to bid farewell to J.P.

J.P.explains to Mary Ellen the best route to get to the Route Verte Chemin du Roy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marietta and J.P. have travelled to every U.S. state except Hawaii and Delaware and every province and territory in Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of hundreds of beautiful stone houses along the Chemin du Roy
Heart 0 Comment 0
J.P. escorted us for the first 10 km. to make sure that we would be able to find the bike trail through Terrebonne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old mill
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon after, we encountered Kevin Weebly who is riding solo, fully loaded from Calgary to Halifax.

We met Kevin Weebly who is cycling fully loaded from Calgary to Halifax
Heart 0 Comment 0

Riding through the birthplace of Celine Dion, Charlemagne,we saw a monument and references to her that reflect the pride her community has for her.

A tribute to Celine Dion
Heart 0 Comment 0

And before we knew it, we glimpsed the St. Lawrence - for both Barry and I, we have so looked forward to travelling along this historic and significant Canadian waterway. We stopped at the first of many farm stands that dot this area rich in agriculture. Lunch was along the river at Saint Sulpice, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and a fresh baguette. Life on the road is good.

Already we are struck by the beauty of the route along the St. Lawrence. Rich history is seen in the preserved old houses and fertile farm land. We made many stops to admire the view and take more pictures of the charming houses.

As it was getting late, and we couldn't find a campground, locals recommended a motel Villa D'Autray in Lanoraie. It has new owners and is being renovated. Good price.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Industry along the St. Lawrence River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 425 km (264 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0