Lyster to Warwick: Entering cheese country - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2010

Lyster to Warwick: Entering cheese country

The stay in Lyster was a highlight for us. The owner, Paulette, spoke no English but offered great hospitality and assistance.

Another hot, humid windy day. 30 celcius plus and a huge headwind.

Rode for 21km through Plessiville. We are now on the Parc Lineaire de Bois Francs. Met a group from cycling club out for a day trip from Quebec City. As is Quebec custom, they were all outfitted in red.

The landscape has changed to open vistas of hay and corn.

We resorted to listening to our iPods for the first time on the trip as the straigtness of the trail, coupled with the heat/humidity/headwind were defeating us. Plus, the heat had gotten to Mary Ellen and she had fallen asleep while riding. We realized that we should be taking more rest days.

Each region distinctively decorates their rest stops, including the outhouses. Each region is distinguished by their colours and architectural style.

Victoriaville's tourist info is on the trail and housed in a reproduction of the old train station. We realized that in the next 30 km, there was no accomodation or camping, only 2 B&B's in Warwick, so the girl helpfully phoned and booked a Gité (B&B) for us in Warwick.

Gité du Champayeur was an excellent choice. It has won many awards for its hospitality and service. The house is beautifully appointed and comfortable for weary cyclists. It is run by Jacques, a local vet. We knew we were at the right place when we saw the giant cow figurine in overalls beside the front door. The decor and comfort of the guests Jacques is a gracious host who sees to the needs of his guests with much humour and grace.

The town of Warwick is esteemed for its cheese production. Jacques recommended a restaurant down the street, Le Maison des Fromages Bistro. We enjoyed a cheese fondue complete with figs, meat, bread, veg..... A delightful relaxing evening followed by a dip in the B&B's hot tub under the stars. We slept well.

Sitting by the river at Lyster
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our wonderful cabin in Lyster
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside our chalet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to resort to listening to our ipods as we needed motivation. The trail was long and straight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 795 km (494 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0