From Teascombe Bay to Pitt: Was this really a sensible idea ? - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2009

From Teascombe Bay to Pitt: Was this really a sensible idea ?

A good night at Tescombe Bay in our little log cabin. We were up early and were on the road by 6.30 after our self serve continental breakfast – lucky we left so early as it was certainly a challenging day. The markings on the cycle way were erratic at the best. Into Newhaven the route was unbelievable rough, then a bridge to Seaford. It was after that that things really turned to custard for a while. We followed ‘the route’ into the bush and naturally all the signage disappeared and there were tracks going in every direction. The GPS saved us and we finally emerged, by now we were pushing up a significant hill. Back to the main road it was a steep downhill to East Dean. We decided against the much longer cycle track and stayed on the main road a long uphill push fortunately with a wide grass verge. By now it was cool and was midday, the wind was behind us all day. When we finally got to the top and were able to ride again there was a long downhill into Eastbourne. This was a fascinating place with the English enjoying ‘the seaside – so different from the beach in New Zealand. We had a coffee and an ice-cream then on a reasonable route to Bexhill and Hastings. At last we were making good progress. A very long break at a scruffy café for a BLT. A long foreshore with lots of people then a steep uphill By this time Tricia was fading badly so we started to look for somewhere to stay, our plan to get to Rye was clearly too ambitious. We finally got onto a main road downhill where we found a pub and asked about accommodation. None there but they directed us up the steepest hill in the district. The first place we came to had no vacancies but the owner rang ahead to Sawyer’s Pub about a mile up the road and miracle of miracles they had a vacancy. It was rather expensive but by then we would have paid anything so we trudged up the hill with our leaden bikes. The place was really charming so had a beer a shower and a sleep then a meal with more beer. I had a massive Ham Hock with Pease Porridge and Tricia Goats Cheese Pasta. Then sound asleep till 6am.

Learning for the day – if someone asks you where you are going just say you are going to the nearest town. If you say you are riding to Rome you risk being locked up as it seems obvious if you say this that you have escaped from the secure unit of the nearest Rest Home.

Where ever are we?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cycle track is sure tricky
Heart 0 Comment 0
We can get coffee and ice-cream here
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 127 km (79 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0