Chaumont - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2009

Chaumont

Ken felt bad because he got the navigation all stuffed up. I am sure it probably made our route a bit shorter but we certainly had hills to battle – it was slowly uphill almost all day past the massive General de Gaulle Memorial. Although we were on a main road it really wasn’t too busy most of the way. The high plateau was rather magnificent with lots of cereals of course and some grapes. Not a bar along the way and it wasn’t until we arrived in Chaumont and were able to go over to the station and get something to eat.

Unable to check in until 2,00pm we went over to the Office de Tourisme to get our stamps and to ask the usual futile question about camping shops. A fruitless tramp to the Cassino and the Bricolage with Ken getting a bit grumpy however a coffee on the way back to the hotel put that right. Our room was OK but not worth the price. I attended to all the emails, had a shower and a brief sleep then we hit the town. It is rather bigger than I expected and when we got to the Basilica there was a wedding on with the bride and groom both past their first flush of youth. The organ was playing with great magnificence and the decorated cars toured the town tooting madly.

Dinner was a pizza in the den under our hotel. It was very good but we ate too much. The night was very hot and there was no air conditioning.

Leaving Bar sur L'Aube, what a magnificent Citroen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The high plateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Basilica
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rather magnificent organ it makes a great sound
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town centre
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 799 km (496 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0