Day 3 - Monte Lake to Kamloops - Our slow roll around Canada 2022 - Part 1 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2022

Day 3 - Monte Lake to Kamloops

A better day

It was a chilly sleep last night, even with 2 pairs of wool socks on but it looked like maybe we would be seeing a bit of the sun today.  What a treat. 

First up was to find some food which we located just down the road at a busy little community store.

On the hillside across Monte Lake, you can see the damage from the wildfires of last year. They were currently logging all the burned timber
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think this barn is beyond saving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fairly large shoulder but even still, we were happy to exit onto quieter roads shortly after here
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were anxious to get off this road and exit onto Barnhartvale Road which would lead us all the way down to Kamloops. It was once named Campbell Creek until a Peter Barnhart, the conductor on the first CPR train through Kamloops, moved there and changed the name.

Aaaah much better!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed many a riding stable, farms and ranches.  It was very peaceful and just what we needed.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering that semi-arid shrubland of sage brush and ponderosa pine trees
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were treated to a long downhill which snaked it's way down through hoodoos? for over 6 km's until we reached South Thompson River and the intersection to hwy 1. Traffic was very considerate and gave us a wide berth when they passed.

6.6 km's downhill through a beautiful landscape was fun!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nearing the end and soon to be on busy hwy #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
South Thompson River and Hwy 1
Heart 0 Comment 0

Only a few hectic km's on the hwy and we turned off for our Motel where they kindly let us have an early check-in.  They also permitted us to bring our bikes into our room and were very helpful in many other ways as we tried to figure out the logistics of sending our current tent home and shopping for a new one.

We decided that there was no way we could spend 2 months in that small tent.  It just was not a good fit for us.  We almost had to slither on our bellies to enter the door and we just aren't into that.

A couple taxi rides later, we had in our possession, a new tent and the old one boxed up (along with 2 folding stools we decided we didn't need). Another taxi ride to the post office to post it to our friend back home, a quick shop at the grocery store and we were walking back to the motel by 5 o'clock.  

Rob mentioned he was feeling tired and his legs felt like lead.  He was also coughing quite a bit. Hmmmmmm I wonder what's up?

Accommodation:  Ranchland Inn - $130 + tax. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 148 km (92 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0