Day 6: Leo got carded!!! - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2014

Day 6: Leo got carded!!!

Leo ordered a beer at a restaurant in Eads and got carded! Then I got carded! But I'll get to that in a minute...

The only saving grace in the ride itself is that we sort of, SORT of, had a tail wind. Well, it was a cross tail wind actually, but that's better than a cross head wind.

We rode from Tribune to Eads and we were both happy to pass into Colorado. Not that much changes from one to the next but there is a psycological barrier, even for someone like me who has not been on board for a while.

The wind was blowing dust all over the place and it made me think that living through the Dust Bowl of the great depression must have been a bitch! And I know it was because I read the book, "The Worst Hard Times"

Of course it wasnt that bad today but for a time I was riding way behind Leo and one minute he was there and one he minute he seemed to vanish into thin air, or at least a cloud of dust.

But, as I mentioned in several paragarphs prior the slight tail wind helped. We met a German coming east and he looked like he had been wandering the desert for 40 days and 40 nights because of the winds and heat.

So anyway, we made it to Eads and went to dinner and Leo ordered a beer and he got carded! And he didnt have his ID because who walks around with their passport so I orderded one for him. Then I GOT CARDED! Its been a dream of mine since my 30th birthday, mind you, but still.

Of course the thrill of knowing we looked 30 plus years younger faded when the waitress explaned that the cops ran a sting and sent in someone under 21 to catch people not carding. Leo was appalled, coming from a country where people can drink at younger ages and where it would be illegal to set up a "crime" like that. We felt kind of bad for the waitress and left a big tip.

But it was nice for a few minutes, thinking that we looked like we were 21 again.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside Sheridan Lake. This sign tells where people live. Chuck lives 1 mile east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is Leo riding in a dust bowl. Now you see him...
Heart 0 Comment 0
....now you dont.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 453 miles (729 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0