Take Me Home Country Road: Quirindi to Tamworth - The Reunion Ride - CycleBlaze

October 2, 2014

Take Me Home Country Road: Quirindi to Tamworth

I mentioned earlier that I left home from Tamworth when I was 18 years old to go to university in Canberra.

Even though that was 40 years ago, and my family, friends, work (and bicycles) are now deeply embedded in Canberra, I still feel a warm glow of home-coming when I arrive on the Liverpool Plains. Anywhere between the Liverpool Range and the Kaputar Range gives me sense of well being. It's hard to describe. There's something about the light, the big sky, the clear air and the warm familiarity of the hills, the bushland, the farms and most of all, the people.

There are subtle characteristics of the locals which make me feel right at home here. I'm proud of this area and quietly ecstatic that I've just ridden home by bicycle to see many people I have not seen for 40 years. Hip, hip hooray. Bring on the reunion!

Today's ride was short and quick via Werris Creek, Currabubula, Duri and then into Tamworth. We were home and hosed by lunch-time.

All these small towns are familiar places from childhood, but this is the first time I'd cycled through them.

First morning coffee was at Werris Creek which is, or at least was, clearly a major railway town and key freight terminal for the many agricultural products which come from the region. Wheat, sorghum, cotton and other crops, as well as wool. Coal trains, for better or worse, seem to be the main users of country lines nowadays.Some passengers too of course still come and go via rail but the numbers of paying customers is very low. Fare box take on country services is low...about 17%. Passenger numbers are in decline on country services.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The romance of rail transport has a darker side. It's been costly in lives for building the network and keeping those big chunks of steel rolling.Werris Creek has an impressive national memorial to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to the rail transport system.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A few of the hundreds of names on the memorials walls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Werris Creek wheat storage ... iconic rural structures
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snapshot on the cafe wall of fashionable days in Werris Creek
Heart 1 Comment 0
Currabubula Pub ... and coffee stop 2 for the morning ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we arrived. Tour end. Party start. This is me being propped up by the bike at Tamworth Post Office at about noon on Thursday about 40 years after I finished high school. The tour was seven days and about 700 km and done in good time for the reunion.Some pre-party partying starts tonight. Thanks for taking the pic John.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 700 km (435 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0