Santanay to Verdun sur Doubs - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2016

Santanay to Verdun sur Doubs

We find the Saone and camp among the mozzies

July 8 Friday  62kms

Santenay to Verdun sur Le Doubs. 

We find the Saone and camp among the mozzies.

We should have made earlier start, but the blue and white tiled pool looks  inviting and does not open till 11:00am.

The Route on canal varies from side to side. We appreciate the shady side. The entry to Chalon Sur Saone  is hot and tiring as we find ourselves in an industrial and built up area. Use Mr Google to negotiate a path to the centre, find a supermarket (air conditioned) for lunch supplies, and enjoy them on a breezy riverside.

Along the Canal du Centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chagny.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canal du Centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chalon sur Saône.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A number of large tourist boats tied up at riverside.
Heart 0 Comment 0


 See a floating hotel that cruises to Basel. Watch children across the river, on a downhill waterslide. Our first sight of the Soane shows a river which contrasts greatly with La Loire- slower flowing and a distinctive green- it looks deeper and more mysterious somehow.

It’s a  hot 30 km along the Saône to Verdun Sur Le Doubs. We come in beside wide river. Here, the campground is at the confluence of the Saône and the Doubs. Some families have campsites alongside the river. We Spot one man floating in the clean looking water, out from the weedy edge despite signs advising against it.

‘Waving not drowning.’ An adventurous swimmer on the Saône, despite warnings against such activity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A toast to the Saône and the Doubs, despite the mozzies.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campground isn’t crowded, and offers lovely shade with the river curving around it. Our usual peaceable settling-is destroyed as the mozzies discover us.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,356 km (842 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0