Digoin to Santanay - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2016

Digoin to Santanay

100kms in search of ‘Camping’.

July 7 Thursday 102kms

Digoin to Santanay

100kms in search of ‘Camping’.

First find the Boulangerie, then the Canal  du Centre. Much the same scenery, but we are diverted by the boats, the locks, the back gardens, and their neat vegetable rows, and the splendid woodpiles. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

“Alimentation” is  successfully sought in Paray -Le -Monial, where we also find an enormous Romanesque Basilica. The large Monastic buildings seem to be still in use, as a procession of priests and laity traverses the square.

Paray Le Monial.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful example of Romanesque style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pilgrims.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next stop is a canal side shady retreat with tables where we have a substantial repas. Michael makes  a brew. 

The canal had a cooling effect which we appreciate. We are in small farm territory, with hedged fields and clumps of Charolais cattle. The herd numbers are no greater than twenty, and they stay close together. 

At Montceau les Mines, obviously industrial, we hope to find camping. Our cheerful Officer of Tourism is sure we should go back to Palinges. He has no Gites either.

One of many patriotic WW1 war memorials.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vichy border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

My Eurovelo map says camping can be found at St Leger, so on the strength of a ”boule” of strawberry icecream, we brave the heat for another 26km. We choose the D 974 as the velo goes into the hills. A bit hairy, but in general, French drivers give cyclists a fair go. St Leger is a disappointment and the Tabac bar man confirms that the next camping is Santenay. Only 8 km. 

We put on reflector jackets and set off. Fortunately we joined the canal again, and surprisingly find a Boulangerie and Epicerie in the middle of nowhere. How special to have a slice of local cheese, cut and wrapped with care.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campground is spacious and faces hills over which hang gliders hover. There are several Dutch camper vans parked nearby. The owners set up their deck chairs in an exact row and face the setting sun. A metaphor perhaps. Our destination also has a thermal spa nearby. We find a site, scramble together a soup and salad and cheese, as the sun sets on the vined Bourgogne hills. 

 

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 1,294 km (804 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0