Landeck to Nauders - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2016

Landeck to Nauders

An exhilarating day. Perfect weather for our assault on the Reisen  pass.

August 7 Sunday 52kms Landeck to Nauders

An exhilarating day. Perfect weather for our assault on the Reisen  pass.

Early morning in Landeck- after a generous breakfast supervised by Herr Gapp - eggs, toast, tomatoes, cucumber and olives, cheeses, yogurt and muesli and lashings of coffee, we load up our bikes next to the roaring Inn.

For some Sunday is religiously observed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the comfort and sustenance of the Adler, hitting the trail feels like a bit of a wrench.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The 45 kms to Martina are gradually uphill from about 800m to 1050m with a couple of spikes,  but nothing too taxing, and the clear skies and sunshine make for perhaps our most exhilarating day so far. Shady trees,  through which splashes of sunlight flash, line the route and there are houses and small towns with timber sawmills.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The path is good and the day is sunny.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fließ- Religious memorial.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re heading the right way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hydro dam at Fließ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Memorial to conflict at Pontlatz bridge between Tyrolean , Bavarian and French. 1703-1809. Eagle is ready to pounce in protection.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tosens
Heart 1 Comment 0


Along the way there are many cyclists out enjoying Sunday and we cross paths with a our group of Germans from Munich a number of times. They are heading for the Gardasee- Lake Garda, like us. Stephanie, one of the group warns us about the chaos that is the Italian holiday season and which starts about now! 

Pfunds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Signage was very clear, though there was really only one way to go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even in this dramatic landscape, vegetable gardens need to be tended.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kayaking on the Inn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0



At another point we watch as several hang gliders dropp into the valley from the high bluffs above. Several watch towers and forts are interspersed along the valley, presumably to protect travelers in the past. You have to wonder how safe the route was and what it must have been like to travel it in Roman times. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Epic moment!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camping with swimming- we didn’t stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Pfunds the cycle route joins the road and shares with cars. This works fine as drivers give you a wide berth and traffic is minimal anyway. We reach Martina early afternoon which takes us back into Switzerland.

Martina. Close to the Swiss border.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Martina. Looking towards Switzerland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The last section of the Reschen Pass is quite straightforward With a good shoulder and the road free of traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beginning of the countdown climb - 11 switchbacks, all numbered, starting at 11!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are congratulating ourselves on what a doddle the pass has been when I notice  the map for the final part to Nauders- about 10km uphill. In fact it is challenging but doable with a gradient a little like that on Great North Road up to Grey Lynn but considerably longer. I only need granny gear at the end. Ann starts  in granny, but manages to ride all the way, with stops for breathers and water. Each switchback is numbered starting at 11 down to 1 at the top. 

Steady progress at switchback 6!
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from near the top down to the valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Victory!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down to Nauders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Other victorious cyclists celebrating, including our German trail friends.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After arrival at Nauders, we find our hotel and sit on the balcony, somewhat euphoric, surveying the surrounding peaks and drinking a beer. In the evening we  we go out for a walk and a pizza and came across a concert by the local Tyrolean band in full regalia.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nauders Fortress
Heart 1 Comment 0
Relaxing on our balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We arrived in time for their concert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

An exhilarating end to an exhilarating day!

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,733 km (1,697 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0