Innsbruck to Landeck - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2016

Innsbruck to Landeck

We cycle accompanied by the sound of the raging Inn, watch White water rafters and enjoy a great day’s cycling.

August 6 Saturday 80kms

Innsbruck to Landeck. 

We cycle accompanied by the sound of the raging Inn, watch White water rafters and enjoy a great day’s cycling.

An early start after breakfasting with the other hostel guests. The track is hard and we make fast progress. Today’s route is a lot of fun with twists and turns and lots of crossings of the river on a variety of bridges. The old unpainted wooden ones are really attractive. We meet up with a party of three Germans several times and chat with them.  Our paths intersect several times during the day. They are headed over to Italy like us.

An early start. Heading towards the pass on fairly gentle incline.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hatting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clouds swirl in Zirl.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stams
Heart 1 Comment 0
Standout steeple in Stams.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Haiming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gasthaus in Haiming.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Timber  is a major part of the local economy and many buildings feature heavy oak furniture and doors which would defy any swat team attempting to break them down. We watch several teams rafting through the Inn rapids- increased greatly by the recent rain. No one falls out- just as well since water temperature look chilly.

The mighty Inn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
White, well grey really, water rafting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No room on the Inn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The path has a very gradual ascent over about 50kms and the path is sealed. As we approach Landeck the high hills close in on us – only one way out- the big climb over the top to Italy. This is the route followed in Roman times when it was called the Via Claudia Augusta. The rocky path is still marked with the ruts of wagons from that bygone age.

Wagons came this way- more than a thousand years ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roppen
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rest stop at Roppen sports fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Imst
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zams
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mils bei Imst
Heart 1 Comment 0

We book into a pleasant looking hotel where our bikes are stored in a locked cage. Dinner is chanterelles and roast beef and knudels.

Dinner - much enjoyed after a long day in the saddle.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 2,681 km (1,665 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0