Cremona to Turin - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2016

Cremona to Turin

We head for the hills and Torino.

August 19th Friday 

Cremona to Turin

We head for the hills and Torino.

A team effort sees us packed, breakfasted and cycling to station in good time for train.

Which end the bike carriage?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We sense from the other passengers the direction from which it will arrive, and anxiously scan the carriages when it does, to find which one has a cycle compartment. Nothing obvious, so we get on near the end. The train is not full, so able to stand and hold bikes. Reassured by another passenger that this is okay- it’s Italy, he says.

Milan is the end stop and we change for Turin with time to spare. This time an official directs us to the area behind the driver. Here Michael gets one bike on the hook, but wrestling to hang the other is impossible. The gap from wall to hook is too small. Eventually the guard concedes and allows the bikes to be returned to their natural positions. 

Train gets to a smooth 148 km/ hr. Too fast to photograph the rice fields that are lushly green. Houses take on a northern look again and hills appear on the horizon.

Alighting in Turin is straightforward, as is finding our way to Hotel Arturo.

Attracting discreetly classy clientele.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Torino Porta Nuova
Heart 0 Comment 0


 A small brass nameplate beside the big wooden doors is all there is to see, but the entrance via the courtyard is suitably grand with polished wood and brass, and chandeliers reflecting in the mirrors. Rather a change from a two person Marmot! Our room has a fan and a fridge as well as a small balcony. Our promised complementary drink shows no signs of appearing as the staff seem preoccupied by more demanding/appealing clientele and so we decide to explore.

Heart 0 Comment 0
A room with a view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a cage lift.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we take an exploratory walk, Michael compares Turin to other European cities. It is grand and stately, studded with statues expressing Italy’s birth as a nation and the heroism of its men mainly. Victor Emmanuelle gets lots of statues and big raps. There seems to be more than your average quota of people asking for money too and over the next couple of days they become quite noticeable. 

Raucous and vibrant- ‘belting it out‘ would be an understatement, but a great welcome to Torino!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town Hall- Palazzo di Citta
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fancy facade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Tricia GrahamYour trip is adding light to my day ! Seems extrodinary that the world can change so rapidly Reading of your slog along the Po reminds me so much of last year - like you we eventually took to the train, just a couple of days past Cremona, we got to the beautiful city of Piacensa before the heat got to us. Hope you are doing well in your bubble and it wont be too long before you will be once more cycling somewhere exciting
Tricia
Reply to this comment
3 years ago