Bern to Stein am Rhein - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2016

Bern to Stein am Rhein

Bye Bye Bern, hello Rhine.

July 18 Monday 35kms. 

Bern to Stein am Rhein

Bye Bye Bern,  hello Rhine.

Bern Bahnhof staff are helpful with advice : change at Zurich for Schaffhausen. We manage the bikes- stacking them in the entry, as the cycle carriage is full of prams on first leg. We are required to unload and hang bikes for second.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Countryside  neatly farmed, occasional mountain views, big railway infrastructure coming in to Zurich. 

The 4 km to the Rhein Falls is along the river, where we see adventurous swimmers going with the fast current, before swinging in to shore. There’s a warning sign 250 metres from the Falls . It looked more manageable than the Aare river swim in Bern, but still at speed. The clarity of the water is surprising - looking down, I can see massive stones at least 3 metres down.

Rhein Falls
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Surprising how the tunnel through the rock allows such close proximity to the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A steep gritty haul uphill and we hear the roar of the water. The stupendous flow of water, the blue and the white foam, is able to be viewed from different levels. We cram in with a group of colourful  saried Sikhs to capture the noise and the force. It’s the Huka Falls on steroids! 

Needing to find a campsite has us back on road alert for the magic sign. The evening is  being enjoyed by the locals all along the river: Picnics, boats, volleyball, and swimming. We cycle through forest as  a thunderstorm breaks, but it comes to nothing.

There were many enticing swimming spots along the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At one stage we are in Germany, then back again to Suisse. By Stein am Rhein there is  hope across the river, and yes it is  there,  high on a hill. Lots of permanent sites with gardens and hedges, a shop, a pool and an area for tents. Amen. Too late for pool tonight but a cold shower will do.

Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,686 km (1,047 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0