Stay in Bern. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2016 to July 17, 2016

Stay in Bern.

Feel the Bern!

July 15 Friday, 16 Saturday, & 17 Sunday 

Feel the Bern!

After our mainly rural travels in France, Bern has come as a pleasant assault on all the senses.

Allotments and houses on Aare.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bern’s famous clock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Saturday market- this dried meats seller wore a silver fern on his shirt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheese
Heart 1 Comment 0
More cheese.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


If you were to create a toy town of the sort they used for model railways, that would be Bern. The fast flowing Aare, at full volume and icy emerald green hue is crossed in several places by beautiful high bridges and all this to the backdrop of those snow covered peaks glistening in the distance, whose names are the stuff of legends- Jungfrau, Eiger.

The Aare is popular for tubing- not today!
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you miss this one, there’ll never be another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


 Bern also caters to the intellect and to the appreciation of art- at Zentrum Paul Klee, the architecture of the gallery, designed to reflect the mountains beyond it, we gain an appreciation of the work and ideas of one of Bern’s favourite sons.

The Paul Klee museum/gallery. The building shape imitates the mountains behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


 We also walk along the river and catch sight of one of the city’s symbols, the Brown Bear in its enclosure. At the top of the hill we quench our thirst on the local IPA. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


Sunday. After catching a train to Spiez we walk alongside the Thunersee and join a few of the hearty locals in the lake’s clear, bracing waters. There’s something surreal about swimming in surroundings so magnificent- almost defies belief.

Day out to the lake- waiting for the train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bracing swim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thunnersee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is a dozy train ride back to the city with many other day trippers. Another impression of Berne is the food- every kind of Bread, dried meats and cheeses, fruit, vegetables- leave you a little overwhelmed- in a good way. And prices for many of these are lower than in NZ. Lastly the fact that this is such a cycle friendly city is an inspiration for two from New Zealand where the same must be possible with creativity, flexibility and tolerance- speaking of which, I must go and move our bikes from in front of the Bally shoe shop after they posted a notice in German on our bikes. We didn’t understand all of it, but got the gist.

Dining on the terrace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apartment entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our top floor apartment.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

The big chess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haircut Bern style
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

To say leaving Berne is hard would be an understatement. Having experienced a world of such interest- great food as we experienced from the Saturday market; the dramatic setting of a city, so compact and easily traversed at a leisurely pace, ( the Bernese do not rush); and the natural surroundings of the river and the lakes and mountains beyond- made the wrench all the more difficult. Stepping out from a modern apartment to a cobbled street in the old town is a special experience. The porticos overhead ensure one stays dry no matter where you walk, and give small businesses immediate connection with pedestrians. Sarah-Maria and Christian had made us welcome and opened up Bern to us. It was lovely to be part of a family and we really enjoyed our time with young Luis.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0