Back to Abermule- Welsh Weekend - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2016 to April 12, 2020

Back to Abermule- Welsh Weekend

Leisure cycling in Wales

Friday: Early morning train to Newton via Birmingham and Shrewsbury. Newton by midday, to collect bikes from cycle shop. Michael’s pedal repair completed. We find our way to the canal path and race back to Abermule looking out for places where the dreaded hawthorn hedges have been trimmed. Between river and canal we speed, light with only our London luggage aboard. We pass swans and sygnets, under the bridges and up at canal bridge 147 to Abermule and Rock Mill. Find Rufus energetically bucketing water on the chestnut trees, as no rain yet.

Bridge 147
Heart 0 Comment 0

Nice to be back to the sound of the babbling brook.

Saturday: Saturday starts with a pre breakfast cycle to Abermule to check out the local car boot sale. Come away with prize Lilies and parsley. We breakfast and picnic packed, Rufus drives us towards Oswestry and the “Pistyll Rhaedr ” waterfall. To earn our sandwiches we hike from the valley  uphill towards Cadir Brewyn, circling around to the top of the falls at 80ft. Down for a shady picnic,  then on to a National Gardens Trust open garden,high in the hills.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lovely colours of yellow, blue and white, against the stunning green farmland surrounding. Not a contender in my opinion, with Rock  Mill gardens, but I may be biased.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Pistyll Rhaedr
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sunday: has us on  cycles powering off to Tregynon house at Gregynog ( pronounced Gru-gun-og).

The concrete house.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This involves negotiating a few miles of hills and dales and winding lanes. The house built of concrete by a concrete entrepreneur, and gardens were bequeathed to Aberystwyth University, and are used for conferences and weddings. A forest walk and a cup of tea, and a return ride back to Abermule, blessedly downhill all the way, for a late lunch.  Time then, to prepare for the next leg of our trip, to Plymouth by train, from where we catch the ferry to France.

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 92 km (57 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0