Let Loose in London - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2016

Let Loose in London

Southbank to the Yard

London in early summer is evocative of so many past memories – that transformation of the city by summer growth in its gardens and parks is lodged firmly in the emotional past somehow. Our first stop at ‘Three’ to deal with Ann’s uncooperative sim puts us in the feisty and capable hands of the Polish Maggie. She fights our corner against Three’s mind numbing obfuscation with true grit and comes  up with a solution! Go the Poles – stuff Brexit!

The overground to Westminster delivers us directly under the watchful (no pun intended) gaze of  Big Ben. Hot and sunny along the river, we munch on M&S rolls filled with serano and rocket before briefly joining the throng of tourists along the south bank.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is limited appeal in mingling there and so we take relief in the Florence Nightingale museum. An interesting collection of memorabilia and writing about Florence herself as well as reflections on the lot of the nurse today and over time. She herself must have needed a deal of nursing since she was bedridden for long stretches in later life. As well as serious interviews, posters and pulp fiction covers, provide evidence that the nurse in uniform has always held strong appeal of a slightly different kind  for some.

Nurses in literature.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The East end - Hackney, is where we find “The Yard”, venue for the performance of the play niece Erin has written and is co-performing. Called “The People of the Eye,” the performance uses drama to portray the experiences of growing up with a hearing disability. The actors’ energy and the skilful use of sound and light creates a moving and enlightening  expose. It is  wonderful catching up with Erin again so far from home. The Yard is hipster territory and there is plenty of evidence of beards and slick hairstyles when we eat  el fresco beside the local canal and imbibe The Crate’s dark rye ale.

Pizza at The Yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The train trip back to Wimbledon requires only one change at Bank and we rumble along with warm memories of a great day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0