Day 24: Hickory Hills County Park to Chariton, IA - Hot "Fun" in the Summertime - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2012

Day 24: Hickory Hills County Park to Chariton, IA

(By Jeff)

We both slept fitfully last night. The problem this time was not noisy campers, since the campground was virtually empty, but was a combination of the oppressive heat and the startlingly noisy insects. As usual, I woke up multiple times when I heard (or imagined I heard) small rodents running outside the tent past my head.

We were up at 6:15 and riding out of the park by 7:30. Despite the heat (already bad early in the morning), I was in a pretty good mood; I was enjoying riding in Iowa much more than Michigan. But Joy was feeling sad. The unrelenting heat and humidity, still something of a shock to our systems after our three years in Utah, was bringing her down. So, we rode slowly through some unexceptional scenery. We stopped at an old cemetery for some shade, where, as is my custom, I walked around reading the headstones.

After that I was riding ahead of Joy, encountered some road workers, and attempted to buy some cold soda pop from them, in an attempt to cheer Joy up on this, our 33-month anniversary. Unfortunately they didn't have any left.

Later we reached the little town of Lacona, and stopped in the lone store where we drank Pepsi and chocolate milk, ate snacks, and talked to the locals sitting around in what appeared to be salvaged office chairs. One old guy was the helpful type, while another was the sort who LOVES telling you about the giant hills that are ahead. Unfortunately the second guy was correct, and there were some stiff climbs after we left the store.

We decided to do a relatively short day, and stay in a motel in Chariton, where there was a bike shop where we could replace Joy's worn front tire. About ten miles from the town, we spotted a rare shade tree along the road. Joy asked the man there if he minded if we borrowed some of his shade, and his response, “Why heavens no!”, helped restore my faith in humanity after yesterday afternoon's unpleasant encounter with the man who ordered me away.

After ten slow miles, we arrived in Chariton around noon, where we immediately stopped for ice cream and air conditioning, then did our business at the bike shop, then checked into the Royal Rest Motel, which was basic but clean. Joy had been craving vegetables, so she walked next door to a Chinese Buffet, while I at most of a Godfather's pizza from a nearby gas station. Happy with our respective meals, we went to bed, after deciding to do another short day tomorrow. It's not fun riding lots of miles when it's this hot.

I (Jeff) try to be a good camper by hanging our food, even though the largest wild animals we will see on this tour are raccoons. Joy laughs at this, but humors me anyway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,016 miles (1,635 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0