Day 73 Puerto Natales - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 3, 2000

Day 73 Puerto Natales

We pack and leave earlier than the Swiss. The mosquitos and little biting gnats are bad.

We have another 10kms of bad road. We reach a river also with the bridge out but it shallow enough to not even have to unload the bikes. We put on our tevas and wade across, pushing the bikes and continue on. Twice again there is water across the road, but those time we can ride across.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we come out of the hills, the road surface improves. We reach a locked gate. One of the trucks from yesterday had just passed us, we saw it at the gate and first thought it was waiting for us. but as we got closer, it had moved on and the gate was locked.

We unload the bikes, throw the stuff over the fence. Rachel hops over to the other side and Patrick lifts the bike over to her.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

So far, this private road has been an adventure. We marvel at the views and think it a shame this not the road to the park for the public.

We reach the cave of the Milodan, the creature that Bruce Chatwins had written about "In Patagonia". We look in the visitor's center, but do not pay to go into the cave to see the giant plastic replica of the Miladon.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reach Puerto Natales, stop at the visitor's center to find directions to the recommended hostel "Nancy's". We have a covered area in back for the bicycles. They had just finished eating and when we ask for directions to a place for empanadas, they offer a piece of meat from their dinner. We accept and also enjoy a cup of coffee.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After cleaning up, we go explore Puerto Natales, eat a hamburger at Melissas' and decide tomorrow to have a rest day.

Today's ride: 26 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,887 km (1,793 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0