Day 24 National Park CG at Falkner Lake: Seite Lagos - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

November 15, 1999

Day 24 National Park CG at Falkner Lake: Seite Lagos

When we wake up at about 7am there is rain. Not very hard, but raindrops falling from the tree canopy above us make it sound serious.

Tough getting out of the sleeping bags on a morning like this.

At about 730am Patrick unzips the vestibule door and peeks out. It's grey, cold and a light rain is falling. Diego has offered us to stay another day, if we would like (he has today off, and though it is tempting we need to go on.

We have established a routine in which Rachel packs the inner tent: our thermarests, sleeping bag, pillows and sleep sheets; while Patrick loads his items on the bike. Then he takes down the tent while Rachel loads her bike. We can break up camp this way very efficiently and fast. Our bikes have been stored in a large workshop building next to the house, we can at least pack up out of the rain.

We say goodbye to Diego ant about 830am. If his travel plans pan out we might see him next year in Boise. We have coffee and pastries at the same bakery before we hit the road. Route 324 first follows the shore of Lake Lacar, and then turns away abruptly for a long climb to about 1300 meters. It takes us about 3 hours to reach the summit, all in the pouring rain. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stop once to eat bananas and some salami, but need to keep moving to stay warm. There is not really a decent, after the saddle the road drops and rises through a confusing valley. This route is called "siete lagos" (7 lakes) and we sure get to see some beauties. 

The surrounding mountains disappear in the clouds, we can just see the snow. After about 40km the nice asphalt road stops, dirt and mud from here on. About 10km further we drop down sharply and see a small empty campground at Lago Falkner.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decide we've had enough; the rain is just letting up with a good opportunity to dry and pitch the tent. There is a caretaker here, a little old man and his dog that live in a small bunk house with a woodstove, table and 4 bunkbeds. A picture of Mother Teresa is his company. We pay 4 pesos for the facilities just some sinks running water and toilets. 

But what a view over the lake!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our tent looks out over a small sandy beach, around us trees and bamboo. The lake is crystal clear and calm, mountains rise up on both sides

Heart 0 Comment 0
We fix spaghetti with onions, green pepper, mushrooms salami and read sauce. Dishes then done, only dessert is left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is now 730pm we are in the tent writing the journal and reading. It is cozy and warm. Patrick is keeping one eye on the lake, mountains and clouds. Maybe the light will change in a bit for some good pictures. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,067 km (663 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0