Day 190 To Ayaviri - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2000

Day 190 To Ayaviri

The ride out of town is interesting with bad pavement and lots of tricycle rickshaws competing for space.  But as soon as we clear the outskirts traffic calms down and we have a nice, paved road to ride on.  The first part is like yesterday, flat and a bit boring, but then we start following a river through a very nice valley.  Brown hills and small villages here and there.  A lot less populated than the altiplano further south though.

We pass the town of Pucara where we have to buy one of those famous ceramic Pucara Bulls.  We get a small one for only one sole.  After that stop a nice tailwind helps us reach Ayaviri at one o’clock.  A hundred kms this morning.

The town looks poor, but we find a decent hotel.  Hotel Paraiso, and a matrimonial room on a parking courtyard for 26 soles.  We roll the bikes right in.  The shower is one of those electrical suicide ones, but it does the job.  We rest and read awhile before going out to explore.  The church and plaza are very nice.  We just ate chicken and fries at a broaster and returned to the hotel.  Rachel is trying to finish her book so Patrick can read it, in the meantime he finally catches up on journal again.

To the right of the big guy on the left is the little guy we bought
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interesting plumbing
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 5,927 km (3,681 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0