Day 167 Rest Day in La Paz - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2000

Day 167 Rest Day in La Paz

In the morning we have breakfast on the sixth floor of the hotel.  There is a good view over the City and the mountain at the end of the valley.  Last night an Israeli travel group was having some kind of party in the lobby on the third floor right at our door.  We complained several times, to them and the hotel staff.  It finally calmed down after midnight. 

 We learn that Jesper and Maria are also in the hotel.  Patrick calls them in their room, we’ll get together for lunch, but not an hour later we run into them downtown and decide to have brunch.  Eli’s confiteria serves large pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream!  After that we shop around for slide film, find some and buy all 17 rolls they have.  We eat lunch at McDonalds, two BigMac’s for one combo meal for 20 BS and take a shared taxi to the Zona Sur.  La Paz starts on the Altiplano, at about 4100 meters as El Alto and spills into the valley down to 3600 meters at Zona Sur.  Because of the altitude the lower you go, the more desirable the real estate, so poor people live higher than the rich.

Zona Sur could have been in the USA. There are fancy houses with gates and walls, stores and supermarkets.  In a photo store Patrick finds 400 ASA slide film, and buys five rolls for our jungle tour.  Before we took the trufi down here we went to the TAM office (Transporte Aero Militar), the military air transport and bought two one-way tickets to Rurrenabaque.  They do not sell returns, we have to buy another one way on our arrival there.  Anyway, the faster film is better in the jungle.

We shop at a supermarket and return to the city center.  Tonight we have dinner with Jesper and Maria, back at the Mexican restaurant.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local hardware store
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maria and Jasper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0