Day 147: Day four Uyuni Tour Back to Uyuni - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2000

Day 147: Day four Uyuni Tour Back to Uyuni

Today on the tour is mostly driving back to Uyuni.  We stop at the new village of San Cristobal.  The old village with a 350 year old church was moved by the mining company.  There was gold to be had under the old village.         

A new church, with two bell towers is built of stone, rather than adobe.  The gold leaf mantle behind the silver altar from the old church was in place and covered in plastic.  The restoration by students was in full progress.  The artifacts and wall murals were being moved from the old church.  It took a long time to get Patrick and the German girl Friederika, an art history major out of the church.  But finally, we move on to a town where we have lunch, a table is set in a corner shop.

It’s a long drive back, a km out of town we visit the train cemetery then go back to Uyuni and are dropped off at the office.  The Danish are also going to stay at Hostal Avenida, where we plan to stay.  We collect our bikes and we all walk to the Hostal.

Rachel does laundry.  The taps don’t work so water is dipped out of a large concrete cauldron.  Patrick works on the bikes.  He discovers his derailleur is broken, but can still make it work.  We go to the internet place.  Patrick has lots of Birthday messages.  While Rachel stays to answer a few letters, Patrick returns to the Hostal to continue work on the bikes.

We go out for Pizza with the Danish couple.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick working on the bikes in the Hostal courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0