Day 115 Iguazu Falls: First view of the falls in a thunderstorm - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

February 14, 2000

Day 115 Iguazu Falls: First view of the falls in a thunderstorm

We sleep in and about 9:30 go to the "tropical" breakfast included with the room. There is an assortment of croissants, dried toast and cake, fruit, juice, mike and cafe con leche.

Then we wonder into town to find an internet place, information center, and arrange of a tour for tomorrow to see the Falls from the Brazil side and Itaipu dam.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Siesta in the afternoon and watch another old movie, then about 4pm we go to the bus station just across the street and buy a $2 ticket on a local bus to the falls. The sky is overcast. We reach the entrance to the park; all nonresidents get off the bus to pay the $5 entry fee. Then we continue on. We see the schedule posted for the bus return.

We climb up a watchtower and get our first panoramic view of the falls! An incredible sight! We decide to do the "inferior" (lower) walk first that takes us to the bottom of one of the falls. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We get about halfway and the overcast sky and dark clouds finally the rain comes. We think it is a tropical afternoon thunderstorm and will quickly pass. It doesn't, we are soaked, but not too uncomfortable, because it is cooler. We head back and decide to try this again on Wednesday. Tomorrow, we go on an organized tour.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

It rains all evening with great big downpours, maybe this will break the heat. Pizza again for dinner and more movies on TV.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0