Week 95: to Nonthaburi: last day cycling in Asia - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 17, 2017

Week 95: to Nonthaburi: last day cycling in Asia

"Look at this new asphalt just for us" Patrick says then continues "I hope it doesn't turn to gravel". We left Ayutthaya early on a busy road for about 22km. Just before turning onto a white road, we stop for a cold drink at a 7-11. We will miss these 7-11 stops. Today, after a year, is our last day of cycling in Asia.

Long trips are broken down into smaller segments, goals and destinations. Bangkok is the final goal and destination for Asia ending stage 6. We started 2017 flying January 1st from Capetown to Kochi India and cycling to Kathmandu, Nepal to Srinagar, India. Flying in July to Dushanbe Tajikistan reaching Ulanbataar Mongolia in October then flying onto Hanoi. A little over a year in Asia and we are in Bangkok, 16,714 km later of a total 27,705 km. After a two week family visit to Holland, we begin the final stretch of this trip, starting in Lima Peru and cycling home to Boise Idaho. This too will connect a dot having cycled Santiago Chile to Ushuaia Argentina then Buenos Aires to Cuzco Peru in 1999-2000; and home to Boise in 2006-07 from the Arctic Circle completing a 13 month trip.

We are staying in Nonthaburi with our friend Krasin until our flight to Holland. He lives more on the northwest side of Bangkok, so the route is a bit longer than a direct route into the city. On the white road, the road surface does change but never to completely unpaved. We ride between the rice fields. Then after 18km, we rejoin a busy four lane road and stop one more time at a Cha Payom, a chain store like Starbucks, before reaching the outskirts of Nonthaburi. As we enjoy our drink three Thai cyclists come in for a drink. They are cycling to raise awareness of environmental issues. From here Patrick stops often to check the GPS to Krasin's house.

Addendum: For information on a reverse route, check out CGOAB blog, SE Asia: Northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia by Aaron and Laura Beese https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=17210

We arrive at Krasin's just after lunchtime. We get settled in and Krasin researches where bike stores are located and calls around to find one that has bike boxes for us. Krasin then drives us toward the city to the shop and we have bike boxes ticking off the list of things to do. Later in the evening Krasin takes us to the mall for dinner. There is a "Food Park" with lots of choices for food. We are looking at the last of the days of Thai food.

It is cloudy this morning with a little rain. Patrick rides without his cap and creates an interesting hair-do.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful product.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more Cappuccino Frappe, pass on the Durian Latte.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very interesting bike. The rear part is his wheelchair, it connects to the recumbent front that he made himself from aluminum frame parts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys spent the last four months cycling to every province in Thailand to raise environmental awareness. Tomorrow will be their last day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in Nonthaburi. Our Asia ride is over.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 27,705 km (17,205 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0