Week 89: two days in Chiang Mai: taking care of business - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2016

Week 89: two days in Chiang Mai: taking care of business

Day one: a very nice restful quiet night. Fixed porridge for breakfast then headed out for shopping, breaking our rule of not riding bikes on rest days, but public transportation from the suburbs to downtown Chiang Mai is not very good.

We are about 6 km from the major stores, so we head out with only one unloaded back pannier and the purple backpack. The purple MacPac backpack bought by Rachel in New Zealand in 1992 and has been on every trip since. We find the Tesco store and buy cornflakes and museli, and a few other items like underwear. The underwear is wearing out or we've left pairs behind drying on the windowsills of our guesthouse rooms.

Rachel has been dreaming of tacos and was ready to offer to make this for our hosts when Jared said Katie thought about making tacos for dinner. We picked up advocados to contribute guacamole for the delicious feast!

We've seen the Golden Arches! Homing in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some bike maintenance. Rachel's front wheel bearings need to be replaced.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Katie and Jared fixing a Mexican meal. Rachel makes the guacamole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner with our warmshowers host.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Day two: We again get on the bikes and ride about 8 km into town. First stop was the Backstreet Books store to see if we can exchange our Vietnam lonely planet guidebook for Myanmar. No such luck, but did decide on the exchange (and additional baht) for Peru LP to start planning the South America part.

Then we rode to the American consulate and being early for Patrick's 1100am appointment for passport renewal, found a coffee shop nearby to wait.

The process went smoothly, if all goes well there will be a new passport with lots of empty visa pages waiting in Bangkok.

Next was a bit of sightseeing as we rode to....yes....MacDonald's for a big Mac. Then back to our warmshowers hosts and relaxing and planning the next stage to Burma.

Back on the road tomorrow.

City wall in downtown Chiang Mai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple in downtown Chiang Mai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wooden temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like a wooden Buddha.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Memorial for the Thai king inside one of the temples.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple ceiling detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decoration on the entrance gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, that's what it looks like.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 25,787 km (16,014 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0