Week 116: to Gualan: Down to the Caribbean side - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2017

Week 116: to Gualan: Down to the Caribbean side

"A passing Lane, not a good sign" Rachel says as we start the long climb. Passing lanes usually indicate steepness. Today it was nice to have because of the traffic.

Today we'll lose elevation so back to an early start to beat the heat. The first 10 km are tougher than what the graph would indicate. The reward was 7 kilometers of a brilliant downhill until traffic backed up behind a slow truck.

Lots of trucks on the road today and no shoulder. The road undulates as we lose elevation.. At Chiquimula there was hope and despair, from a distance Patrick spots the golden arches but when we reach the sign, all we could see was the sign,no second breakfast for us. The road narrowed here and a truck came to a screeching halt to avoid hitting Patrick.

Riding quickly on to get out of the town traffic, we see a shop and stop for a cold drink and finish the muffins. Soon after this the climb starts. The passing lane helps since there is no shoulder. Then another downhill with views of the Rio Grande de Zacapa. At the intersection to Zacapa, we stop at a gas station and have the last of the ham and cheese. The climate is now too warm again to carry this any longer.

In Rio Hondo we turn north, the traffic is still very busy, but at least we have a shoulder to ride on now. It is a lot hotter down here. One more stop for a coke and we reach Gualan, or the turn-off to the town. There is a hotel and several small restaurants here. As we get ready to check-out the Agua Viva Hotel a guy tells us about a cheaper place about 100 meters towards the main town, but the 200 Quetzals ($27) they want for this place seems good value, there is AC, WiFi and cable TV. Plus several pools even though we end up not using.

Guacho and his horse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of beautiful saddles and tack on display today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shop selling saddles and tack.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selling peanuts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selling pottery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Aqua Viva Hotel in Gualun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 33,708 km (20,933 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0