up Sagirdasht Pass: wildflowers on our wedding anniversary - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2016

up Sagirdasht Pass: wildflowers on our wedding anniversary

"We need to be re-enculturated about what to do with our trash" Rachel says after stopping for a rest break. In India as well as Africa, we became used to just tossing trash anywhere because that is what the locals did for it to eventually swept up and burned. Tavildara streets are so clean, as well as the road sides there is very little trash. We are back to carrying our trash with us until finding a place to discard it.

Up early, we head out of town and within a couple kilometers, we have to cross a boulder field, evidence of yet another flash flood wiping out the road. Today is our 21st wedding anniversary, and we pass by sunflowers, reminding us of 1994 in South Africa the big sunflower fields. A year ago we celebrated the 20th anniversary in Gori, Georgia. After 10kms, there is another huge boulder field to cross.

We cross the bridge over the river, across another wash out and stop at a police checkpoint. The road continues to follow the river until the road turns away and we start the climb toward the pass, gaining only 50 meters, so most of the elevation gain is ahead. Tavildara is at 1600 meters and the summit to the pass is 3250.

This is one of the toughest climbs we have done due the combination of road surface and an occasional steep section. The views of the mountains and wildflowers in bloom are the reward. At about 2700 meters, we see a great spot for camping. A flowing stream and a flat area. Just as we stop, a cyclist is coming down from the pass. It's James! We first met him outside Pokahara Nepal! http://www.reallybigbikeride.com/category/blog/ He is cycling in the opposite direction and gives us tips about the road ahead.

The campsite we have chosen has a beautiful view over the valley. It is set amongst wildflowers and pasture and there is a small stream. In the distance coming uphill we watch two cyclist climbing. It's Will and Jo and they are determined to make the summit tonight. We enjoy the sunset, visit with a passing sheepherder and get in the sleeping bags when the temperature starts to drop.

Sunflowers. Today is our 21st wedding anniversary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flashback to 1994, Sunflowers in South Africa
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flashback, 2015 Gori Georgia 20th wedding anniversary, these shirts we wore on our 5 week honeymoon bike ride and added the present date.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy moving tall grass with a long handled sickle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huge rock formations at the beginning of our climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Filtering water. This time of year there are plenty of streams crossing the road. We filter all our water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing higher the wildflowers are in full bloom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice wildflowers and tall mountains becoming visible over the ridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling along wildflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wildflowers on Sagirdasht Pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Right where we decide to camp we meet up with James again. We last saw him in the heat of the Nepali Terrai. He since flew to Almaty and cycled this way through the Pamir Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite in a gully at about 2760 meters on Sagirdasht Pass. The proximity to the road is not an issue, while we are there only a couple of cars pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wildflowers and campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids on a donkey hunting down a wayward cow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evening light on the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite on Sagirdasht Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 18,824 km (11,690 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0