to Zarzal: rainy day, but we don't mind at all - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2017

to Zarzal: rainy day, but we don't mind at all

"I don't know which is making me more soaking wet, the pouring rain or the splashing from the trucks." Rachel says. Just before the rain started again, the locals on motorcycles had stopped and put on rain gear. "You think they know something we don't" Patrick has said. Not much further, the rain started, we put on our rain jackets and the rain gradually increased to a heavy downpour.

The hostel breakfast is not available until 9, so we have our cereal and yogurt at our regular time at 6:30 and Patrick made coffee in the kitchen. Bob and Amanda are also up and quicker at getting ready to take off. We are not far behind going in the opposite direction, saying goodbye to instant friends for a short moment in time. As we cycle through the rain, we wonder how their day is going.

The scenery changes some, cows in fields are added to the sugarcane fields and hills. Traffic is intense, especially during the rain, but we still have a nice shoulder. The four lane highway is nicely landscaped with trees and blooming Oleander plants. We stop once at a gas station for a cup of coffee and cookies, and arrive to Zarzal before 11am.

We find the Hotel El Encanto and a ground floor room for 27,000 COL ($9), our cheapest room in Columbia yet. There is good WiFi but only a cold shower. We go to a restaurant nearby and have the "almuerzo" set lunch then to a supermarket and bakery for supplies. The afternoon is watching a football game between Schalke04 and Ajax Amsterdam. For dinner, we bought fixings for sandwiches and will have enough for the road tomorrow.

Bob and Amanda on their way towards Lima. We leave five minutes later in the opposite direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain is getting heavier, we put on our rain jackets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful trees with a huge branch-span.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Must be a slow news day when we post cow photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving the Pan American at the Zarwal exit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel El Encanto in Zarwal. Bob and Amanda stayed here two nights ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zarwal street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 30,722 km (19,078 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0