to Stuart: sprinklers and sprinkles - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2017

to Stuart: sprinklers and sprinkles

"I picked up water to give to cyclists" Brock said. He is a "road angel", he pulled over and waited for us to give us water and a peach for each of us. "This peach is so good" Patrick says while eating the peach as we talk with Brock. Soon after this, the storm hits.

We woke to the sound of sprinklers and the ticking of rain like sounds on our tent. That one stopped and a second sprinkler hits the tent. When all is clear, we pack up have breakfast and push across the grass back to the main road. Before setting off, we do a goathead check of the tires. Patrick has already fixed his back tire before setting off. We continue to ride on the asphalt rather than the trail itself. All along the roadside are sunflowers, goldenrod and purple salvia. Our first 20 miles to O'Neill gets us there for a second breakfast of shared Western omelette and biscuits and gravy.

During breakfast, the weather channel is on and we see updates on Hurricane Harvey in Texas. We see a storm forming over Nebraska and after setting off again we ride through it. The wind is strong for awhile then let's up and by the time we reach Stuart the rain has stopped. We have decided to get a room tonight, it is still early and we can get good "value". The Stuart Village Inn is nice and not expensive. We enjoy our first "fat tire amber ale" in a long time, watch TV and update our blog. Next door is a bar/grill where we have dinner.

Once we walk out the City Park we check the tires for goatheads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice looking church in Ewing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wetlands in the Elkhorn Valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We reach the US20 junction. This road continues all the way through Boise towards the Pacific.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bob's garage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Irish in O'Neill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast restaurant in O'Neill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brock, a guy from Omaha pulls over to give us water and peaches. We call him a road angel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nebraska landscape. Less corn and soybeans today and lots of hay fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 38,617 km (23,981 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0