To Ratlam: "Freedom fighters and journalists", the sign is still there! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2016

To Ratlam: "Freedom fighters and journalists", the sign is still there!

"Have we just been on so many bad roads that this bad road doesn't seem so bad?" Ràchel says as we leave Dhar. For 22 kms, the road was bad, then really bad, then not so bad, to really really bad. This made getting to the 4 Lane road very attractive when other times we would avoid, at least there is a shoulder and not to worry about on coming traffic. But even this road has its good and not so good sections.

We go through one of the first villages where the country farm smells of cattle overpowered the cooking spice smell. Our first rest stop today came earlier than usual. Patrick stopped to take a picture of a "Horse" temple (he was born in the year of the horse, Rachel the year of the Tiger) when a man came over and invited us for chai. When we tried to pay, the holy man said "no money", then he walked us to the temple to meet "the Krishna". Patrick left a 100rupee donation.

Patrick was waiting to see this sign, had been looking for it all day since seeing it in Elspbeth and Martin Jarmin's blog, and the Abbey's...the one at the toll gate where "freedom fighters and accredited journalists" don't pay, then we see the sign! It's becoming a tradition now for cyclists blogs. When reading other blogs, it's interesting how similiar they are, there are just certain things that attract the cyclists eye, and how helpful sometimes to know what to look for along the way.

(Don and Robyn Abbey http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/friendlyroad )

(Jarmins' http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/12217 )

The last 3kms into Ratlam were a nightmare due to the construction. It took us 40 minutes to reach Sagar Castle hotel. With all the chaos and bottleneck of traffic, this was a nice time to have a specific hotel destintion in mind, also from the Jarmin's.

By 2pm, for 900 rupees, we are settled into the room, lunch ordered through room service, and recovering from the chaos of the last part of the day.

Three more days to Udaipur and a rest day.

Long day today so we get an early start. We see the sun rise over wheat fields as we leave Dhar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sadhu (holy man) who speaks english very well, invites us over for chai and cookies. Afterwards, he takes us to the temple next door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly sadhu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fist bump for a small girl. It always takes a little time to teach them. Adults associate it with Obama.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of wheat fields between Dhar and Ratlam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first twenty km are either under construction, or like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nomads are camping out in the harvested wheat fields. Their herds of sheep and goats eat the stubble and straw brought in by the camels. This little guy is leading some large animals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garbage everywhere in India. Cows too... For a country that doesn't eat beef we see a lot of potential steaks walking around.... Some google-ing has found that our first chance for a steak will be Kathmandu, still about 6 weeks away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brooms salesman on a bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman carrying water jugs to the nomad camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It seems the moped and motorcycle are replacing the bicycle everywhere, even in India.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two cycling couples that passed this way before us posted this same photo on their CGOAB blog. We have looked for it today and want to add it to the collection. Freedom fighters and accredited journalists do not pay road toll!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crew sweeping the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Total bedlam in Ratlam. There is a culvert under construction on the new road and traffic is diverted around it. With some people thinking they could be faster by "going salmon" the traffic is almost completey snarled.
Heart 0 Comment 0
End of the day treat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 13,958 km (8,668 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0