to Playa Hermosa: 100k and a football game - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2017

to Playa Hermosa: 100k and a football game

"Let's stay one more day" Patrick said yesterday when the alarm started beeping. Didn't take much to convince Rachel, the Cool Vibe hostel is relaxing. We had a big breakfast next door, sharing an omelette and French toast. The hostel provides free coffee. Rachel shopped and bought supplies for an afternoon snack of guacamole, salsa, and chips, and beer. She also talked with another touring cyclist who ended up staying at the hostel, a Swiss guy on the road for a year now with plans to go next to the Polynesian islands.

This morning though, the beeper got us out of bed and to an early start. The plan is to get to Esterillos Oeste and decide from there whether to stay or continue on. The first part of the road was a bit rolling then relatively flat. Many kilometers the rain forest has been cleared and palm tree planted,a Palma Tico factory spews black smoke, houses that look like company housing surround soccer fields.

We keep going and reach Playa Hermosa at about noon. The hostel that we planned to stay is full. A parking guy directs us to the Vida Hermosa Hotel next door. They have a room available, it starts at $70, but drops to $40 after some haggling. Still overpriced, but this is Costa Rica and it is a Saturday night on the coast.

The Champions League final is about to begin, so we quickly settle in, rolling the bikes in the room. It's lunchtime, as the game begins Rachel walks to a store a couple hundred meters for snacks to tie us over till dinner. A rainstorm moves in late afternoon but clears enough for us to walk to Pizza Boca for a very good pizza.

Rachel spots this Iguana on our restday in Dominical.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Swiss cyclist. Instead of camping gear he carries a paraglider. His next destination is Polynesia, not a typical destination for cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Dominical Beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
River crossing, mountains visible further inland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaucho and water buffalo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Palm oil factory.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soccer field and what looks like company housing amidst palm-oil plantation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Drink adds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Condo development in Costa Rica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dark clouds in Playa Hermosa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rain approaching over the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 32,587 km (20,237 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0