to Palma Sola: along the Gulf of Mexico - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2017

to Palma Sola: along the Gulf of Mexico

"They need guys with machetes to clear the shoulder" Patrick says after we pass Cardel. The shoulder becomes overgrown in spots, full of rocks, gravel and potholes. We've seen workers cutting the overgrowth with machetes and wonder why they've not adapted to using a weed whacker like the other Central American countries.

We started later than usual today, waiting for the 7:30am breakfast buffet. Only, there is no buffet today. No matter, we order from the menu a ham and cheese omelette and pancakes that we share, and great cup of coffee con leche. The bikes go down in the elevator, loaded except for the dry bags which Rachel carries down. It's 8:00am as we navigate out of the city.

The first 25km are rolling and with a nice shoulder. We stop for chocolate milk and cold drinks at a gas station. There's not much along this stretch. And for 9km we see signs to visit the Granja Crocodiles, we choose to miss the tourist opportunity.

At distance marker 190, there is a tourist area advertising hotel and camping. Soon after this the shoulder disappears fortunately the traffic is not too heavy. Still not much along the road until DM 183-81, there are shops and hotels. We get glimpses of the Gulf coast and hills in the distance. Reaching Palma Sola, we first check Hotel Las Palma's on the main road, but it's too expensive. We ride back a block turning on a side road to Hotel Arenas del Mar. From the street it looks very funky, brightly painted in Orange and Blue. Patrick checks it out, it's family run, and very friendly, big rooms that we roll in the loaded bikes, hot water shower, WiFi that's OK though intermittent, TV, and a swimming pool.

Patrick goes out to shop and brings tacos and beer, chips and yogurt for breakfast. We shower and take a swim then relax watching American movies dubbed in Spanish and work on photos and journal until time for dinner. We've not had roasted chicken and papa fritas for awhile and sounds good, so we stroll the main street and find a restaurant that is cooking chicken over an open fire. The chicken has a nice smokey flavor. Finishing dinner, we go to the oxxo shop for the mandatory ice cream.

Industrial areas on the outskirts of Veracruz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road heads Northwest following the gulf coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A black back land crab scurrying down the road shoulder. Thanks for the ID Bill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After riding on this road for about 30km all of a sudden there is a "no bicycle" sign. Just ignore it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are only a couple occasions where we get close to the Gulf coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the time the road is a couple of kilometers inland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a nuclear power plant near Laguna Verde. We see many of these emergency evacuation routes. "I did not know you could outrun radioactive particles," Patrick says.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laguna Verde.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more little downhill to the sea and Palma Sola
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel Arena del Mar, nice place with Bronco colors.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 34,802 km (21,612 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0