to Muang Khua: giving thanks for 25,000km - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 24, 2016

to Muang Khua: giving thanks for 25,000km

"I need another layer and we just passed 25,000 km" Patrick says as he's leaning his bike against a bamboo fence, and Rachel catches up and asks, "What's up?".

We started off very early in the morning mist. Once again looking to a long 600 meter climb and wanting to get to Muang Khua early. We make our way up slowly in increments of every couple of kilometer and elevation gain of 100-150 meters reaching the first summit at 1000 meters. Briefly we are above the clouds. Just below the summit, an English teacher on a motorcycle stops us just below the school. He invites us to talk to the students. We push our bikes up, only to find out there are no students today. So we push on. There is a bit of a false summit and a saddle to go through losing then regaining about a hundred meters back to 1000 meters.

As we start the 10km descent, we again go through a misty fog. Visibility is poor and the downhill is chilly. Patrick stops at the 25,000km mark for this trip and puts on a jacket. The last 9km into town is undulating, crossing the river bridge we get to the main intersection of the town. There is an ATM that works this time. Continuing on the main road we check out first the fancy hotel on the right side. Then across the road the Manhchay Guesthouse. We take a room there, not as expensive at 80,000kkip ($10), nice room, friendly owner who makes room for our bikes in the lobby.

We made good time, it's 10:30, so we clean up, quickly do laundry so it will have time to dry, then head out for lunch. There is a nice restaurant with a view over the river and we have a chicken sandwich and fries. After eating, we walk down to the river to find out about the boat for tomorrow. "Here, 9 o'clock" the man in the rustic ticket booth says. We wander a little through the market then back to the room and catch up on the journal. Mid-afternoon we email Joseph and Katie to find out where they are staying. We will meet up at 6pm for dinner.

A foggy morning as we leave our guesthouse and head back to the main road. There are many dogs in this town, they don't bark though like in India.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dressed for success.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We climb above the fog and get nice views over the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Above the clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kids are not quite as enthusiastic about the "falang" as they were nine years ago, but this group puts on a performance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sabadee!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weaving grass mats, we think for roof covering.
Heart 0 Comment 0
25,000 km achieved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find an ATM that works.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guesthouse in Muang Khua.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love Laos! The beer is good, cold and comes in the right size bottle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Muang Khua's dock on the Ou River. Tomorrow we will take a boat downstream.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 25,016 km (15,535 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0