to Las Lajas: Hombres Trabajando - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2017

to Las Lajas: Hombres Trabajando

"Agua, agua" the road worker points to the big orange container on the wheelbarrow as Rachel cycles by; she stops to take a picture instead. We are carrying plenty of water even in this heat and humidity. Panama is the first country in a while where we can just drink the tap water. There really is not much along this stretch between Santiago and Las Lajas. Shops are somewhat hidden, only noticing where they are by trucks stopped in front. There are only a few "towns" or gas stations.

The first 20km were rolling short steep hills but we have a super two lane bike lane for us alone because of the road construction. One side is completely closed to traffic and every so often, switching sides, so we have to pay attention sometimes to which side we need to cross over to ride. What makes it very nice is that we don't have constant traffic noise coming from behind and a smooth surface helped. Occasionally, there is work on a bridge or large section of the road is broken up with a big divot to navigate.

After crossing a bridge, the first big hill of 350 meters begins and the road closure ends. We have two more climbs of over 150 meters, and the last 20km returns to rolling hills. There is a passport check. A Panamanian lady with bright blond hair checks our passports until she looses interest and waves us on. There is not much to see except for green hills and road construction workers. We arrive at the Paradise Inn, a very nicely landscaped place with two pools. We take a room with a fan for $22, there is no hot water shower which is tough for Rachel to wash her hair, the WiFi is weak at the room. Dinner in the restaurant was okay. There are much nicer cabanas with AC, but at almost $50 they are way over our budget.

Today was a tough day. And after four days of over 90km each day we need a rest day here tomorrow. A chance to recover and do laundry.

A foggy morning. After all the rain last night the humidity is sky-high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Half the highway is closed for road construction. Nice for us, we can pick the side with no traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The day starts with rolling hills. After about 21 kilometers come five larger hills, followed by rolling hills again. This side of the interstate is closed to traffic....making for a sweet two lane bike lane!
Heart 0 Comment 0
For awhile the sun comes out and it gets unbearably hot. We make regular stops whenever we see an opportunity for a cold drink.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a good safety record Patrick thinks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guys walking down the shoulder. At first most Panamanians do not come across as very friendly. There are no shouted greetings or smiles like in Colombia. But brief "buenas tardes" from us always gets a smile and greeting back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is not completely finished. Workers are still constructing the pedestrian overpasses and concrete barriers. The overpasses are huge, with a large girder poured on-site and placed on two large columns. The stairs are site-built. We only see one accessible overpass, with an enormous ramp that seems to meet US ADA standards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guys working on the railings. Notice the fall-protection gear. Most other countries we have visited would not bother with formalities like that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hills get more serious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys offer us water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panamanian cowboy headed down the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He has real spurs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Men at work." Women don't get signs like these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside stalls selling colorful dresses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beadwork for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mother with child at one of the few "mini-supermarkets" we pass today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to "Paradise Inn" in Las Lajas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amidst the cabanas is a nice garden with two swimming pools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take a cheaper room out back.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 32,196 km (19,994 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0