to Kathmandu: hiking up and down the mountain - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2016

to Kathmandu: hiking up and down the mountain

"I have a new rule" Rachel jokes, "don't take advice on road suggestions from mountain bike riders." Today was one of the toughest days ever!

The first part, we were rewarded by seeing the back country of Nepal. Making up for yesterdays hazy skies, the day starts with an awesome sunrise view of the Himalaya range from Annapurna to Everest. Leaving Daman, we descend to the village of Shikharkot and make our way through smaller villages. We see kids eating popsicles and soon catch up with ice cream bike, and enjoy lemon popsicles. We reach the marker for Naubise 35 kms and turn off on Kulekani road. This was the shortcut recommended by a Kathmandu warmshowers member, Harrie.

We stop at a small shop for water and also order chow mein. This soon marks the beginning of the climb. The last part, was torturous with 8 kms 400 meter altitude gain and pushing the bikes up 12-15% grades on rocky and sandy surfaces. Finally, we reach the summit and we can see the road snake down the hillside and the outskirts of Kathmandu.

"Not sure what or why I was thinking the downhill would be different" Rachel says wanting to cry, as we look at the same road going down 12-15% and even worse surface. It's slow going, the steepness of the grade is difficult for Rachel to brake and while Patrick could ride his front wheel rim became very hot from braking. We both walk. Finally to the main road into Kathmandu, the traffic is heavy and we have 5-6kms still to the area Thamel.

This was one of the latest time for us arriving at our destination. This also marks the end of stage three of this trip. In 2007, we ended our Asian section of our bike trip in Kathmandu from Lhasa. Today connects the dot arriving from India and staying at the same place, Hotel Tashi Delhe. Though this time instead of boxing the bikes for flight to Alaska, we are taking a break from the bikes and planning the next stage, Pokhara to the Indian Himalayas.

For now, we enjoy good food and seeing the sites of Kathmandu.

Early morning before sunrise this is the view to our northeast. We are not sure, but these could be Everest and Nuptse on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun rises from right behind the mountain we think is Everest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Machhapuchhara and Annapurna catching the first light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Daman. We have not worn our smartwool and jackets for awhile now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Langtang Lirung seen during our downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Children helping their parents break rocks in a roadworkers camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman carrying huge loads of pinestraw, we think to be used for animal bedding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ice cream vendor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful scenery but bad roads. The surface is covered with an inch or more of talcum powder like dust. Fortunately there is not a lot of traffic to stir it all up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel working hard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the downhill is the same as the uphill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at the Tashi Delhe Hotel in Kathmandu. We also stayed here nine years ago after we did the Friendship Highway from Lhasa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tashi Delek hotel Katmandu, 2006-07
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice pizza and a cold one at the "fire and ice" pizzeria.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 15,652 km (9,720 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0