to Karwar: Caution dangerous curves ahead - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 29, 2016

to Karwar: Caution dangerous curves ahead

"He went to great lengths to point out the English toilet" Patrick said after checking into the Hotel Sai International. "He must have read your blog from yesterday" Rachel jokes. Patrick read in other cyclists blogs that there was no lodging in Karwar, but this is if you stay on the main road, you have to go into the town to find lodging.

The first 20kms was mostly downhill through thicker forest. Wow! So many trucks, it was a traffic jam! Once done with most of the descent, we see three long trucks with blades for wind turbines parked, then three more trucks driving up. Last night at dinner, we saw the same type of trucks go through town. The road would have to be closed to other traffic to let these trucks through, so we are thinking that was why so many trucks were on the road.

After Ramnaguli to the junction of NH63 with Edepally-Panvel Highway, there are several nice looking hotels (restaurants) with large parking lots for trucks and buses. We stopped at one of them for second breakfast.

At the junction to the main road, don't be fooled that there is an easy ride with only 30 kms to Karwar. The climbs have only just begun! We do get our first glimpse of the Arabian sea. There is a big construction project of making the road a four lane highway.

Our room is only 650Rp ($10), with a nice hot shower, TV with English movies, and a fan which is nice in the heat, also seems to keep mosquitoes at bay. The staff are very friendly and helpful with carrying the gear up to room, and room services bringing us cold water and beer. Even though they wanted the bikes outside, Patrick carried them up to the room. We sleep better knowing the bikes are secure.

Late afternoon, we walk to the beach. Fishermen were bringing in their nets and we watched them sort through the fish caught then fold the nets up.

On the way back to the hotel, we found a good Indian-Chinese restaurant.

After cycling five days, tomorrow is another short (but hilly) ride to Palolem and a rest day on the beach.

Long wind turbine propeller wings make their way through the narrow winding street of Yellapur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today we see a couple more convoys transporting wings for wind turbines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We lose about 600 meters of elevation on our way down to the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For breakfast we still prefer our western style cornflakes with muesli and milk, but at about 10 am we are ready for Indian food. Patrick has "idli" Rachel orders a "puri".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Head-on collisions are common on the narrow Indian roads. Using your horn a lot seems to substitute for using your brain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach in Karwar
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 12,228 km (7,594 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0