to Chunchi: green hills of Ecuador - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 28, 2017

to Chunchi: green hills of Ecuador

"At least it is not raining this morning" is our thought when we open the curtains. It is cloudy though and cold so we start off in long pants and a rain jacket. The profile today doesn't look too bad, just no flat riding. It is either up or down. We do lose quite a bit of altitude which makes for some good coasting. This would be a much tougher day going south.

The sun even breaks through for us, but when we start dropping elevation we enter the clouds and get some dense fog. At about 1:30 pm we reach Chunchi and find the Hotel Chunchi Imperial. A nice place for $25. The hot water runs out during Patrick's shower though, and Rachel has to wait for the next batch to be heated, and the WiFi is a bit quirky, but we are in a nice location and off the main road for some quiet.

We walk to a Chifa on the main road and have dinner there. We notice the hats have changed, an indication we are in a different region. In El Tambo, the women wore white bowler hats that had two small pom poms on the hat band, sometimes in the front and sometimes in the back. The skirts are a heavy full below knee length with an embroidery on the hem. It's very difficult to get a picture, they always say no when asked. The town is much quieter than when we arrived, probably because the football game, Ecuador is playing Colombia and losing.....

Green hills of Ecuador. We keep expecting to see Hobbits.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back on El Tambo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick's front brake pads, just replaced in Bangkok, are already worn out. We carry some spares and replace them before the next downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green hills and lots of houses. We are surprised how many people live on these mountain sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Zhud the road to the coast visible in this photo branches off. We keep going direction Quito.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clouds are moving in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today we ride either in sunshine or in thick fog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chunchi is visible across the valley. Just one more downhill and one more climb to town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 29,599 km (18,381 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0