to Bozeman: around the world - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2017

to Bozeman: around the world

Today is the big day.

Our idea of an "around the world" trip is fairly simple: cycle 40,000 kilometers without riding in circles too much, and there you have it. And 18 kilometers out of our warm motel room in Big Timber we are there. Rachel's first comment is: "Can we go home now?"

The morning starts off very chilly and things do not change much. There is low cloud cover, left-over snow still blankets the sides or the road, the higher hills seem to have their winter coats on. We roll out at about 8am and head west for Bozeman. It helps to know we have a Warmshowers host lined up for a warm place to stay tonight. The first 24 kilometers we ride on the frontage road that parallels the Interstate. We reach the 40,000 and stop to take some photos to remember this moment. In 1994, Rachel joined Patrick for the ride from Capetown to Nairobi, and on from Gibraltar back to Ossendrecht. The last couple of months became a zigzag ride through Europe because Patrick wanted to reach the 40,000 mark. We achieved it the day before the trip ended. This time it is a bit earlier, we still have three weeks and about another 1000k's to go to Boise.

The frontage road ends at Springdale. There is no cafe or anything else, so we eat a dry cinnamon roll and head onto I-90. We make good time, the best way to stay warm is pedal hard. At Livingstone there is road construction on the interstate, so we take the exit and ride through town. A good decision, because we find the 49'ers diner still serving breakfast at noon.

With bellies full of eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and biscuits and gravy, we start the 20 kilometer climb to Bozeman Pass over Bridger mountains. We work up a sweat on the climb, but it does not get any warmer. At the summit is an interpretive sign telling us William Clark and Sacajawea passed this way in 1806 on their way back east after crossing to the Pacific. That really was not that long ago. Now this valley holds an Interstate Highway, a busy railroad and more and more houses from people that seek solitude but are willing to listen to non-stop traffic noise.

The downhill is cold, but fortunately there is no wind. We take the first Bozeman exit and easily find our hosts house. Greg has a nice colorful cottage in the old part of town, only four blocks from mainstreet. We get a nice room, our bikes go in the outbuilding in the back yard. Greg has an outdoor shower copied from Terry's shower in Louisiana. He rode the southern tier and stayed at her place as well. There is a chicken coup, four chickens and nice raised garden beds. Greg used to be a back-country ranger in Glacier National Park and has a lot of knowledge of bears.

We are happy to hear Bozeman has a Thai restaurant, we cannot resist Pad Thai for dinner. The evening is spent talking with Greg and reading books.

Chilly Montana landscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chilly ride on the frontage road along I-90.
Heart 0 Comment 0
40,000 kilometers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snow on nearby mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding I-90 up to Bozeman Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Greg's house and "little free library" in Bozeman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As seen in Bozeman. Count us in!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 99 km (61 miles)
Total: 40,081 km (24,890 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0