to Banswara: three milestones in one day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 6, 2016

to Banswara: three milestones in one day

"Where did these hills come from?" Patrick asks when we are 10 kms from Banswara. Just before this at 12 kms, Rachel had her first flat since Botswana.

Leaving Ratlam this morning was a lot easier than yesterday's ride into the town. The hotel is next to the railroad underpass and the road lead to the main road bypassing a big chunk of the rest of the town. On this side of town and all the way to Banswara, the road construction is complete. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, we continue to gain elevation then cresting the top, we drop down into a valley. The houses are made of brick and covered by mud, and tile roofs. A stick brush fence to hold livestock (cattle and goats) are at the front of the houses. Women pour milk from stainless steel jugs into the big milk cans strapped to the back of motorcycles, the milk collection system.

Our first break was a bit further distance than usual, we find a place for chai and have an apple tart that Patrick had found at a bakery yesterday. A bit later we stop for poha. We are now drawing a crowd with people watching and taking pictures of us eating.

Today was a big day of milestones. We crossed the Tropic of Cancer and leaving the tropics, achieved cycling 14,000kms and crossed into another India state. We were stopped at the sign that we thought was announcing the border of Rajasthan, when a car stops. Two men come over to talk with us, "Where are you going?" "Do you have a hotel?" and one gives us a card for Hotel Nakshatra. Nice to have a destination. The hotel is located on the other side of town, and about 500 meters from the main road, and really nice for 1200rupees.

Best of all, the hotel has an elevator that works! When the room is on the 3rd floor and 11 bags need to be carried up, that is a nice plus.

Patrick's front tire has lost some pressure and needs topped-up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dilapidated palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Motorcyclists pull up frequently to ask the same basic questions: "where are you going?" and "where are you from". After they receive an answer they often speed up again without a further word......
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women cutting the wheat and wrapping it in bundles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farewell from one state, headed towards Rajasthan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just across the border with Rajasthan we meet this guy going the other way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick thinks the sadhu is traveling with the elephant. Patrick wants to give him 10 rupees for his trouble but he wants 100. What for? His price comes down rapidly, but he over reached and gets nothing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overloaded tuk-tuk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kid with inner tube on this way to the reservoir. Probably going fishing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large reservoir just before Banswara. Water level seems very low, farmers are preparing fields on the former lake bottom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Notice the adapted lifeboat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel gets a flat tire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town just before Banswara is full of pot sellers. Clay pots!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more with one of his buddies.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 14,044 km (8,721 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0