to Bagan: sunset from Shwesandaw Paya - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 26, 2016

to Bagan: sunset from Shwesandaw Paya

"Mingalarpar" Patrick answers back to the greetings of hello. Then for the first time riding in Myanmar, a kid shouts to us asking for money. The descent from the volcanic Mt. Popa goes quickly in a few kilometers before continuing to undulate toward the plains of Bagan. The road surface is sandy in places especially when crossing a drainage point.

After about 25km, we stop for a cold drink and snack of one of the generic choco pies. Rachel finds out that today isn't the 35km she thought but 50km. At least there are no major climbs. We pass by lots of touristy places that advertise Toddy's. Yesterday coming across backroads we saw the roadside toddy stands for the locals.

About 8km out of town the road becomes a divided highway and Patrick checking the GPS navigates us to Nuyang U area and Yar Kinn Thar Hotel. The hotel is in a good location on the corner of the main road and the road to the "backpacker" area.

We check in, there is no hot water for a shower, so the cold water will have to do. Then walking to the Weatherspoon Restaurant for lunch, Patrick has Pad Thai and Rachel a chicken and lettuce salad. We return here for dinner for the hamburgers.

Late afternoon, we arrange a horse cart tour for all day tomorrow from a tour agency. To go to the pagoda for the sunset, we rent an electric motorbike for 5000 kyat. We are sold on these e-bikes! We make our way to the pagoda fairly early around 430pm, climb up the steep stairs to the top and wait....along with hundreds of other people...for the sunset. The first impression of looking over the plains and seeing all the pagodas is picturesque and memorable.

Tomorrow, all day to see the pagodas of Bagan.

The road from Mt. Popa to Bagan drops down off the volcano slopes to the plains along the Irrawady River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After lunch we make a visit to the Shwezigon Paya. Unfortunately the main pagoda is wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and matting for restoration works.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roof details at the Shwezigon Paya.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice woodcarvings at the Shwezigon Paya.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over the Bagan Plain from the Shwesandaw Paya. This is a very popluar spot to watch the sunset. We have come early to get a good spot on the highest platform.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pagodas of Bagan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Workers are clearing brush everywhere and light the piles on fire. The smoke obscures some views, but as the sun sets it makes for pretty colors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset seen from Shwesandaw Paya.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plains of Bagan with smoke filling in the lowest areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset seen from Shwesandaw Paya.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun has set and starts a mass exodus of tourists from Shwesandaw Paya.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bagan pagodas. There are hundreds everywhere you look.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 26,831 km (16,662 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0