to Akbaital River camp: back on the Pamir Highway - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2016

to Akbaital River camp: back on the Pamir Highway

We are in no hurry to leave this morning because we do not want to miss out on the nice breakfast the Pamir Hotel serves. After bread with jam, fried eggs, a pancake and coffee we hit the road. Jo and the Swiss girls who managed to find a replacement rear wheel will follow later.

We leave at eight and against our expectations have a slight tailwind pushing us up the valley. Today we plan to gain about 400 meters altitude getting us within reach of the tallest pass on the Pamir Highway tomorrow. At 48 kilometers just before a caravanserai the road crosses a river. We find a beautiful campsite on green grass on the south side of the confluence. Most of the afternoon, we relax staying in the shade of our tent because the sun is very strong.

Later in the afternoon Jo and the Swiss girls show up and share our campsite. As soon as the sun goes behind the mountains it gets cold though and we all retreat to our tents.

We meet an Israeli woman headed to Murghab. She has taken a ride over the pass but asks us to keep an eye out for her son who is chasing her.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful mountains with some very isolated buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wide open spaces on the Pamir Plateau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spot the cyclist
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling the Pamir Plateau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling the Pamir Plateau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the Israeli son chasing his mother to Murghab.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A derelict caravanserai marks the end of our ride today. Just before it are is an abandoned bridge and a great camp spot on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Relaxing after a short day of cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jo has found us and joins our camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel filtering water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Swiss girls show up and join our camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jo trying his cooking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice campsite on the Akbaital River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 19,481 km (12,098 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0