restday Uliastai: just some photos - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2016

restday Uliastai: just some photos

Like most rest days we spent it doing our laundry, some bike maintenance, filtering water and shopping for supplies for the next stage. Our plan is to head from here to Tosontsengel, then east towards Tsetserleg and Ulaanbaatar.

At the grocery store we ran into Pierre, the Frenchman with an American accent we met in Karakol when he was riding with a French couple. They have since headed south through China while Pierre is heading the same way we plan. So tomorrow we will ride out with him.

There is a series of stupas on a hill overlooking the town, we hike up there for some photos. Notice the nice fall colors.

Colorful apartment building in Uliastai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The waitress at the Uliastai Hotel checks our order from the English menu with the Mongolian menu, runs back to the kitchen a couple of times to make sure what we order is available and remains friendly with these demanding foreigners.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pond with a boat. Must be art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over Uliastai. Notice the fall colors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stupas above Uliastai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stupas above Uliastai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tibetan inscription on prayerwheel. The blue silk scarves representative of Mongolia's blue skies are khota blessings. In Tibet the scarves are white representing the purity of heart of the giver.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stupas above Uliastai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dalai Lama is everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornately carved center wheel and post of a ger-like building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vodka is everywhere. We read many bad stories about drunken Mongolian men. We have seen them, sometimes they are a bit annoying, but it is mostly sad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kitchen ladies at the Uliastai Hotel. We have bought ten eggs and ask them to boil them for us so we can carry them on the next stage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0